Friday, September 11, 2009

Jesse, Carmen, and The Timp Caves


Jesse came out to Utah one last time before moving to Cali. We miss him :( . He brought his girlfriend, Carmen out to meet the family as well. I think Carmen is wonderful! And they are so happy together!My dad wanted to do something fun all together so he took us all to hike up to the Timp Caves. We'd been on a few hikes this year where we wished we'd had a leash for Ryker (see the post about our hike up to the Y) due to the unforgiving nature of the terrain along side the trail. This, we knew, would be one of those hikes. So I went to buy him one. When I told him what I was getting, he whined, "Nooooo, I don't want a harness!" Then I saw one that was also a backpack and it was only $2 more so I said, "Ryker, what if we get you THIS one that is also a backpack. Since you don't have a hiking backpack yet, maybe you can use this one to carry your water and snacks. What do you think?" "YEAH! I WANTED a hiking backpack!" Perfect.Our hike was lots of fun! Jesse traded off carrying Raelin and Ryker on his shoulders the whole way up! I carried Alaina, but she only weighs 13 or 14 lbs. Raelin and Ryker weigh 30-35 lbs. I was very glad for the harness and Ryker has a great time pulling Granddad up the hill when Uncle Jesse wasn't carrying him (carrying Ryker, that is. Jesse didn't carry Granddad!). It was a short hike, but super steep. I can't remember the stats, but if Brice does, maybe I'll have him add them later. The caves were amazing! It's crazy to think about the first people that ever went in there. It would be unnerving to be in some of those big caverns with only a little candle. Or to climb around on the slippery walls without being able to see what your climbing towards. How far down is it? Some of the places where the first cave explorers came in were really scary-looking even with all the lights that they have in there now. Imagine not knowing that you were 50 feet off the cave floor! At one point the tour guide turns off the lights so you can experience the complete and utter darkness. It's a really cool and kind of freaky. I'll bet the first explorers hit their heads a lot...Carmen was worried about earthquakes because the caves are right along a fault line. The tour guide consoled her by saying that it would be over so fast (our lives, that is) that we would never know what happened.
The whole group of us! From the left: Brice, Morgan, Alaina, Russ (my dad/Granddad), Dee (my mom/Grammie), Ryker, Jesse, Carmen, Raelin.
The kids.

Ryker was not into taking pictures but we coerced and bribed and finally got a few good ones. He was tired and grumpy but Uncle Jesse really wanted some pics of his nieces and nephew to take home with him.
Raelin, Ryker, and Brice on a precarious precipice. Brice likes giving me heart attacks. Beautiful landscape, though!

2 comments:

Cummins Family said...

Please can you take me there when I come to visit next!! I'm obsessed with caves!!!! Anytime we're anywhere and there's a sign for caves I tell Glen I want to go to them. I just think they're fascinating! I'm so happy for Jesse, she looks like a great girl! That makes me smile!

Vanessa said...

Looks like a great family activity!! Fun to see a picture of you guys with your mom and dad. We haven't seen all of you guys in a long time! Love it that we can blog and see bits and pieces of our lives! :)