Thursday, August 19, 2010

Raelin's cake

Yesterday, Raelin wanted to make cookies. I told her to get out my cook book and choose a recipe. She chose Texas Sheet Cake (after she started, she realized it was cake and not cookies. Oops!). I've never made it before but I let her go for it. She started mixing ingredients and measuring them herself and everything. Then she said there was no more flour. Uh oh. I told her to just use some wheat flour to make up the difference. Then I thought to tell her to pre-heat the oven. She didn't know where to look for the temperature to set it for, so I came to take a look. Uh oh. The directions said to boil the butter, water and cocoa first and then add the dry ingredients. Too late now. She finished making the batter and I poured it into the pan for her and we tossed it in the oven. It took an hour to cook rather than the 20-25 minutes the recipe said. So, needless to say, I was a bit concerned about how this cake was going to turn out. Fortunately, it came out of the oven LOOKING like a cake...


Now for the taste test. Wow! It's actually quite good! You can certainly taste the wheat flour and it's better with frosting, but it's super moist and dense--more like zucchini or pumpkin bread. I really like it! Great job, Raelin! And she cleaned up pretty well after herself, too! I just wish I'd thought to take pictures!

0 comments: