Friday, October 2, 2009

Brice's sheds

I guess this could also be part of the summer, but it certainly deserves its own post. Brice started up a business this summer (licensed and everything) building sheds. I think I may have posted about the first one he built. The monster one that I helped him with? Does it ring a bell? I'll check. Hang on.... Hmm. I guess not. Anyway. This is the first one Brice built:




Well, technically, he built this little one before the monster shed and put it in the driveway with a for sale sign on it: But the big one was the first one he was hired to build. It was enormous! It's beautiful, isn't it? We made it a family affair and the homeowners were nice enough to watch the kids most of the time so I could help. It took AAAAALLL day long! I gained a lot of appreciation for what Brice does for a living. I also realized how much this job lends to injury. He's still accident prone, just not as much as I always thought he was. The other amazing thing is that he calculated the material perfectly. The only thing he ran out of was roofing nails and he had nothing (and I mean nothing) leftover. It also meant there was no room for mistakes and he didn't make any. I was impressed!

Poor Ryker. One of the first things that happened the day we built this shed was that I was carrying a piece of plywood when suddenly the wind kicked up and started twisting it out of my hands. I quickly had to put it down so it wouldn't rip my arms off. Unfortunately, I put it down right on Ryker's leg. I scraped his leg and foot up pretty good and we were worried he might have some internal damage, but he was walking on it after an hour or so. Poor little guy.

After our California trip, Brice had several jobs right in a row.Another monster one.
The monster ones have a HUGE loft inside. This is the son of the homeowner who is over 6 feet tall! These two monster sheds are both 10'x14' and they are 14' tall. Now you know why we call them monster sheds.

Here's an average sized one.
And another average sized one.


And a little one that I was able to help with.
He also built another medium sized one this past weekend (with windows! It looks great!) and another little one yesterday. I haven't seen that one but my sister took pictures. Her husband has been helping Brice on some of the sheds. I'll have to post pictures of the last two when I get them on the computer. Or, I could just get the ones I have now...This shed was quite the project! The boys (Brice and Toby) did a bunch of concrete work to create pillars for the beams to sit on and a concrete pad for the ramp to attach to and they built the ramp and made a skirt to cover the pillars and on and on! It turned out really nice, don't you think?

I'm so proud of my husband! He can make amazing things with his hands and I love watching him build these sheds. They turn out so professional! I'm also proud of him for starting up an official business. It's exciting and he loves owning his own business. He hopes it can be something he can do for years to come (even after he's an engineer) and that his teenagers can help him with. We'll see just how far it will go! Good work, Brice!

1 comments:

Laura & Eliza said...

Morgs! Call mollie! She's gonna be up here the wk of the 19th! I bet she would love to take pics of ur cute fam! Maybe u should come to logan to take them ;)