Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Rapidly Falling Behind

I know I just posted the other day, but so much has been going on that I feel like I'm losing ground too fast. I'm sure to condemn myself by saying this, but it looks like nice weather is here to stay! Finally!!! We went for a walk up the canyon on Saturday, but unfortunately, I didn't get very many good pictures. But here are the ones I did get:Ryker was very much into everything Rykery (that's an official word at our house) on our walk--sticks, climbing, running, and getting too close to edges. But mostly sticks.

Raelin wanted to be in charge of giving the dog treats every time he came to us, but he kinda scared her with how fast he would run at her. He still doesn't have a name, the poor dog.
Both of the kids love to climb, but especially Raelin. She is really good, too!
This hill was so steep that Brice stood at the bottom ready to save any heads that were in danger of finding rocks on the way down. If Brice is taking precautions, you know it's dangerous!

We also had a home made Playdoh day. A few days ago, I was gearing up to just be Mom and I thought I'd better find some fun things to do. I got so excited (which is new for me!) to do projects with them that I didn't wait until finals were over and we made Playdoh instead of studying. The kids had a great time (thanks, Ange, for the link to a good recipe!) It started off innocently enough:
Ryker told me he made this heart for me because he loves me. He's so sweet!
BYU was her own idea; no one suggested it or gave her ideas of how to do it. She pushed some Doh through a Playdoh garlic press and used the "worms" to make the letters. Clever girl.
Then Daddy came home and this is what you get:

Raelin was a bit skeptical at first, but she got into it soon enough.
Yes, Playdoh went in her nose...

You can see Brice's eye, cheek, and nose pretty clearly; the ambiguous glob on the left was the part that was in his mouth. His comment: "Salty!" My comment: "Gross! You are SUCH a bad example--don't eat the Playdoh!"

Today, we had just gotten home from the park and I was getting Alaina settled, when Raelin said that Ryker was eating food coloring. WHAT!? EATING food coloring?He said he wanted to be a frog. And this was how he thought he could accomplish it.
Oh, boys...

And here are some projects of late (where did I find time? I have no idea...)
I got this idea from my little friend Taylor who had one at church for her crayons. I wanted Raelin to have something to do in the car so her hands would be busy thereby keeping her thumb from finding its way into her mouth. Crayons, however, do not withstand life in a car very well so I made these for colored pencils.
This one's Ryker--most of the pencils are already missing. And he can't bring his in the car because he can't be trusted to write ONLY on paper.

And this one is Raelin's. She loves the fishy fabric.

A while back my friend Kari sent me a Woombie to borrow . It's a cool little sleeper sack that swaddles the baby without the need to know any blanket techniques. It's also cooler than all that blanket material wrapped around the baby. But it is white. White and I are not friends. Anyone that knows any of the Somers' will understand why. So I wanted to make one of my own--it looked simple enough. The hard part was finding ribbing for around the neck. And the time to finish making it. By the time I finished (yesterday), Alaina was too big for it. So I need to make her a bigger one. Fortunately, it is as simple as it looked.
Well, she sort of fits. I can get her in it, but her legs are pretty scrunched. She's fast asleep in it currently, so she must not mind too much.


These two pictures are for Tia:
Thanks for the cute outfit! (AKA "alfit")

And finally, look what I did!!!!! This is the effect I've been trying to figure out how to capture. I'm not quite certain what all the factors are that went into getting this picture, but I got it.

2 comments:

Vanessa said...

Oh my that last pic of baby is so precious! You are such a good, fun and crafty mom. I love the playdo pics and the colored pencil case and the baby swaddle blanket. Brice is a fun daddy!!!

melissa said...

What fun things to do with the kids! This was such a fun post-- I can't beleive Ryker's green "frog" face (actually, I can beleive it) . . . he's so silly!
The play-do-faces is so Somersy-- I do that with the kids every time we play with our green homemade play-do! I like Raelin's haircut. ANd that last picture of Alaina is amazing! Miss you!