Sunday, December 12, 2010

Busy, busy! My new business!!

Sorry I haven't been the most diligent blogger lately. I'm sure you all have been missing me desperately. Or maybe enjoying my silence so you can get other things done besides reading my long-winded ramblings. Whichever the case, I have been busy as a bee at my sewing machine. I've been making things for my kids (mostly baby things) for a long time and I've tried selling things here or there but just haven't come upon the right thing to really try to make a business of it. Until now.

I'd been using cloth diapers with Alaina for about 6 months before she was potty trained (yes, she is fully potty trained and has been since she was 20 months old! LOVE IT!). When Landon was born I couldn't use Alaina's cloth diapers on him because they were too big. I thought I'd just wait until he was big enough or something, but I was just really HATING putting him in disposables. Weird, huh. Well, one reason would be expected by anyone who knows me well: I hated spending the money. But I was surprised that I was bothered on an environmental level also. I'm not usually the "greenest" person around. I try not to abuse the earth, but I don't go out of my way to save it either. But as you look around at cloth diapers, you will inevitably come across statistics on the impact of disposable diapers on the environment. I guess I was feeling like, since I didn't mind doing diaper laundry and all that, I would really rather not contribute THAT much garbage to the landfills. Diapers are a HUGE contributer to the trash we generate in this country. Anyway, I looked around at diapers and just wasn't finding anything I liked enough to want to spend money on. The kind we'd had for Alaina was bothersome because you had to snap in a liner and separate things as you washed and rinsing was kind of a pain. I was sure there had to be a better idea. I finally found something I liked but I didn't want to spend that much money. I'm a tightwad; what can I say? So I started doing some research and found all the things I'd need (some if it was quite a challenge!) and I started making my own diapers. I've been liking them so much and liking making them that I thought maybe I'd make them to sell. I think that this business idea might actually go somewhere if I want it to because the materials are obscure and hard to find. Lots of the other things I've made wouldn't go anywhere, in part, because I live in Utah and everyone is crafty or has friends or family who is and they can just make their own baby stuff. So I'm going to give this a go. I've filled one order so far and I've made enough for Landon to have him in cloth full time and I've made 2 for Alaina for nighttime. I LOVE them!! And they are virtually leak-proof; way better than disposables in that regard for sure!

If any of you use cloth diapers and want to try mine out, I sell them to friends and family at a discount. And I'd appreciate it if you would spread the word to anyone you know who uses cloth diapers. Thanks! Here's the site:

1 comments:

Jordan said...

VERY impressive Morgan! If I have another baby someday, I might just have to give your Monkey Do Diapers a try! Love your demo video!!! :)