Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Mowing the lawn--Always an adventure in the Somers family

So our lawn received its first mowing on Saturday. Prior to being able to mow the lawn, though, Brice had to get his brother's lawn mower going. He finally decided it must be too low on gas. He and Ryker went to the car to try to siphon some out of the tank. I had just taken the car to get gas, so it was well topped off. Brice put the hose in and blew a little to try to find the level of the gas. Unfortunately, when he blew into the tank, some gas erupted from the tank and doused Ryker's poor little face! Brice stripped off his drenched shirt and ran him onto the house as he yelled for me. I was in the back yard and called back, "Yeah?" to which Brice just yelled my name again. Then I heard Ryker's blood-curdling scream-cry. I dropped the hoe and ran into the house to find Ryker naked in the sink and Brice holding his head under the faucet. Brice told me that he'd gotten gasoline sprayed in his face, so I grabbed my phone and the phone book and called poison control while Brice continued to drown the poor boy's stinging face and eyes under the faucet. Poison control said swallowing a little gas isn't a big deal (so if you're ever dying of thirst...), but inhaling it can cause really bad pneumonia. So she said to watch for a cough and to flush his eyes for 15 minutes. So that's what we did. The poor kid also had gas drench his shorts which irritated his boy parts (those poor things have been through the ringer the last month or so! First he got them smashed by the toilet seat when he was going pee, then he got a minor chemical irritation/burn when he managed to undo the childproof top to some cleaning solvent and spilled it all over his drawers, and now the gasoline incident! Now don't go calling CPS on us or anything! I promise we take good care of our kids; they're just Somers'. These things happen in this family. You get used to it. Unfortunately.)
So Ryker's eyes (and his boy parts) are just fine now, but in the picture above you can kind of see that they are a little sleepy looking. He felt fine by this time though, and he was out having a grass fight with his sister with all the grass clippings.


Raelin played so hard and so long in the fresh cut grass that her feet and hands were completely green! Since green is her favorite color, it made her day to have green body parts!

3 comments:

Karly said...

Haha that's great. I love the green body parts and the fact that Ryker was drenched in gasoline. Haha. I'm so glad he's okay though! But what a great story. :)

Jordan said...

Oh my heck...poor Ryker! I love your stories! Your life is full of adventure!

melissa said...

Morgan, I can't handle it . . . this blog thing is so great! I've finally followed your footsteps and created my own! I hope I can keep it updated as well as you. I don't know if I can keep it as cute as yours! Well . . . just look at those cute little kids you have!