Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Halloween Crafts and the Crazy Tomato Plant

So, I feel really bad not being with my kids very much because of school. I miss them a lot. My first semester, I was only gone two days a week and I was usually able to get most of my homework done between classes. This semester I have class three days a week and they are pretty much back to back from 9:00 in the morning until almost 6:00 at night. And then I still have homework to do. So I really wanted to do some fun stuff with the kids for all the holidays coming up. Here are some of the Halloween things we did:

Rice Crispy Treat Monsters:

And sugar cookies:

What a happy kid!!

Ryker also helped with this project during the mixing, rolling, cutting, and tasting parts. But by the time frosting time came around he was just too tired. Poor kid has really suffered from our crazy schedule this semester. He gets woken up too early and his naps are all messed up. He gets to a point where he's just a complete mess. So he missed out on frosting the cookies, but he loved using the cookie cutters and rolling pin.

Now for the tomato plant. Look at this thing!

This first picture really doesn't do it justice, but you can see how it's encroaching on the walkway. In the spring when I was planting stuff, I had an extra little seedling that was going to die if I didn't find a place for it. I was out of room in the garden, but the flower bed had a little spot, so I just stuck it in the ground. The thing must have gotten the best little spot of ground because it grew and grew and GREW. It was probably at least six feet in diameter and was just an enormous tangled mass of green branches and leaves. When it started to freeze, Brice pulled it out of the ground because it was taking over the walkway and the tomatoes were dying from the frost anyway. I had Brice hold it up for a picture and you can see on his face how heavy this thing was!"Quick!! Take the picture already!!"

0 comments: