Friday, March 27, 2009

Pobrecita Nina

How do you get the ~ over the n?


Poor little Alaina! The rest of the family has been suffering from a cold that's been going around. Coughing, runny nose, itchy face, etc. Usually, when everyone else gets sick, I get a canker sore or three, but I don't get sick. I'd hoped that would be the case this time, but no such luck. Alaina and I both got sick on Thursday. I started getting stuffy and she came down with a fever. I'd just been informed by a nurse earlier that day that if the baby got a fever that wasn't from shots, the Dr. would want to know about it. So Wednesday morning I made a Dr.'s appointment for Alaina. I missed my classes and didn't turn in my 12 page paper to take her to the Dr., but I feel justified. The doctor ordered a barrage of tests: first a catheter in the office to get a urine sample (I tried to get her to pee with our whistle cue, but she didn't go. That would have been SO cool, but oh well.), then over to the lab for bloodwork (thank goodness for a super technician that got her tiny baby arm vein on the first try!), than finally to the hospital's pediatrics floor for a respiratory test. This was the worst one as far as Alaina was concerned. They stuck a tube up her nose and into her sinuses to suction out some lung mucus. Yum!

The test results are in and even though she has 2 viruses, the Dr. isn't worried. He said that viruses just run their course and she'll be okay. Other things like bacterial infections make babies much sicker. She has parainfluenza and RSV. Poor little thing. She's all stuffy and coughing and her little cry is so pitiful and froggy. She keeps choking on the mucus in her throat too. And I'm the sickest I've been in a really long time with all the same symptoms minus the choking part.

Incidentally, I was able to get my 10 page paper that was due that evening done and turned in on time. I turned in my 12 page paper this morning (two days late) but my teacher is very understanding--she has three kids too. I swear the Lord adds hours to my days. There's really no other explanation for how I get things done.

1 comments:

C Tam said...

I love the color of her eyes. She looks really cute, even though she's miserable. Glad she's building the immune system, and that's cool your teachers are working with you better now (I remember at the start of the semester you mentioned they weren't thrilled about the idea of you having a baby half-way through the semester...)