Monday, August 2, 2010

To Clarify...

I have 2 clarifications to make regarding the previous post:

1. Not knowing anything about the great outdoors does not necessarily make one a stupid person; however, choosing to go caving without being properly prepared is the sort of thing that would certainly indicate stupidity. Are you HOPING to earn a Darwin Award?

2. According to Brice, the cliff I was talking about is not one that would result in certain death if you fell like I made it out to be. He says that if you tumbled as you fell, you might not stop until you hit the creek bed at the bottom. That sort of fall could kill you. But if you were smart and spread yourself out as you fell so that you slid down, you'd just get a sound beating, but you'd live. I'd hate for Brice to read this and think I'd misrepresented the danger factor. This was a "it's possible that you might die if you fall" hike, not a "you're certain to die if you fall" sort of hike. Though we have gone on "you're certain to die if you fall" hikes before (see my very first blog post--our anniversary trip to Zion's). Just not with kids. Oh, that's not true. The Timp caves hike is like that, but the trail is nice and wide and paved and Ryker was on a leash. I guess that one's a "you're certain to die if you fall off the edge" hike, but the likelihood of falling off the edge is slim.

2 comments:

Vanessa said...

Glad you lived through that one! :) The 2nd hike sounds much more peaceful and enjoyable. Loved your post about life with 4 kids. So funny!

melissa said...

You keep me laughing!