Monday, January 19, 2009

The day we've been waiting for


Morgan has been going crazy this last week waiting to go into labor. She was so sick of being pregnant that she never really worried about the upcoming labor. She woke me up at 3 AM Friday morning because she had been having more regular contractions for a few hours. After getting dressed I worked on homework while timing contractions. Unfortunately for Morgan the consistency faded and by 7 AM the contractions no longer promised labor. In order to take the day off of school, I drove my homework to my friend Marcos' house so that he could turn it in for me. We spent a lot of the day with Morgan's aunt Kyle and tried everything that we could to get labor going. We went off-roading, Morgan had some raspberry leaf tea, she took a caulophyllum thalictroide pill and so on. We went to bed that night but were up again by 3AM. This time we actually went to the hospital but Morgan was not as far along as she would have liked. Aunt Kyle met us at the hospital and helped keep the Nurses in line so that things would go the way that Morgan wanted. When notified, the doctor offered to come in to the hospital to break Morgan's water and speed up the process.Morgan liked the idea and so by 6:30 AM the contractions were becoming very intense. At this point Morgan found out that she was only dilated to 7cm and this didn't please her. She imagined that she would be in this type of labor for much longer and decided that she could do for an epidural. I convinced her that she didn't need it and that it wouldn't be much longer. I based my conclusions on her previous labor experiences and fortunately was right. Before we knew it she was ready to push and I had to rush to put on a gown and gloves so that I could catch. The doctor instructed me how to catch the baby, then clamp and cut the umbilical cord. Our experience at this hospital was better than it was at St. Bernardine's and from this point on we never were away from baby Alaina's presence. Throughout her stay at the hospital Morgan rejected every medication offered her and received not even a single painkiller. Because of this and who knows what other kinds of impossible toughness, Morgan was able to get out of bed and accompany Alaina and I down to the nursery. According to the comments and praise that was received there by the nurses and doctor, I doubt that any other mother has ever walked into the nursery carrying her baby! Morgan was ready to leave within an hour of having delivered but they made her wait a whole 24 hours. We had visits from family and a generally relaxing time. Alaina has turned out to be the easiest baby ever (at least so far) and only cried right after birth and when she got a bath. She didn't even fuss about having her feet pricked or getting shots.

7 comments:

melanie said...

What?!!!
That is the craziest labor story I have ever heard! I mean, crazy in the sense that you were like, push out the baby, and im done! lets go! Woah. I am totally calling you for some tips next time i go to the hospital to have a baby! Seriously, that pic of you sitting next to your baby in the nursery? How long was that after she came out? That is insane!

Sherrill said...

Yeah! Congrasts. What a darling set of pictures!

Heather said...

Congratulations to you guys! I love the pictures of the kids holding their new baby sister. And ditto to what Melanie said. That's CRAZY!! Way to go!

melissa said...

You are so awesome Morgan! Good job. You're the toughest gal I know. Alaina is adorable. I love the pictures with Raelin snuggling her and Ryker too. She's a sweetie!

Laina said...

OMG you named her after ME?!?! How sweet!!! HHahaha. No...but really...its' even SPELLED the same. I NEVER see it that way! Awesome name! And I can NOT believe you were so up and at em THAT fast! If I ever go through it I hope its as simple as you make it look! CONGRATS!

Rice-Ball said...

Congrats! And I'm wondering too, did you name her after Alaina, the Alaina we grew up with and are still friends with today? I'm totally jealous, she's not named after me! Just kidding, it's a beautiful name, and it seems to suit her. Way to go popping her out as quickly and effortlessly as you did. What's that pill you named before the raspberry leaf tea supposed to do? Just wondering. loves and congrats!

Beck said...

Hi Brice! I sent Morgan a "Hello, I am Becky and I went to school with your husband" comment, but I am not sure if she ever received it. Just wanted to send you Congratulations!!! Alaina is a beautiful name, and she is adorable! Your family looks great hope things are good for you!
Love, Becky