Saturday, January 3, 2009

Our New Addition

No, not THAT one! She's still kicking and squirming away in my tummy. Made ya look though, didn't I. THIS is our new addition:


We've been talking about getting a Suburban for several years and it finally happened. Brice has been seriously shopping for about a year and a half now (he's very diligent!) and he finally found the right one. It was a bit more than I wanted to spend, but after driving a few that were in the price range I was hoping for, I realized that it would behoove us to spend a little more and get one that didn't already need some repairs. Especially since we are Somers' and have therefore been bestowed with the Somers Family Car Curse. We figured that this was the time to get a new vehicle since we can't fit three car seats across the back of our Saturn. We do on occasion and you really have to slam those things in there. As in put your shoulder or hip to the door and give it everything you've got. It tweaks the car seats and just doesn't feel too safe. Plus, when we get a new dog, where would we put it? We've been known to put dogs in the trunk, but we get hastled by the highway patrol for it. So, we got our Suburban just in time for our next new addition and we LOVE it! Ryker likes that he can see out the windows and Raelin likes it because it's green, her favorite color. Brice is really happy with it, which is the most important thing to me since he's been working so hard researching it. And I am really excited for some space! Pregnancy has made me really sensitive to noise so the poor kids have been sentenced to virtual silence whenever we get in the car. Hopefully, noise won't drive me so nuts in a big Suburban.

For those of you that care, it's 4 wheel drive, a three quarter ton (which means it's heavier duty than other models so Brice can't break it), has the small block engine (it guzzles less gas than the big block, parts are cheaper and it's a more tried and true engine), it seats 8 and the seats are leather, it has new tires (a HUGE selling point), 95,000 miles on it, and it has power everything. Finding a 3/4 ton with a small block engine was one of Brice's initial objectives, but it was so hard to find that he kind of stopped looking for that combination. He figured out after the purchase that he had gotten the exact thing he wanted! We've been really blessed to have everything fall into place for this purchase--the money came in just in time, the right car was still available at a really great deal, it had all the most important components (it's only missing a bench seat up front and a tailgate back door rather than barn doors), and it came in time for a new baby and the next semester of school which could have been a logistical nightmare without two cars. And it's quite the upgrade from our little Saturn, which, by the way, is only 5 years old, has 125,000 miles on it and is still running. That is quite a feat for a Somers' vehicle. Brice has done a great job keeping up with the maintenance on it and I think it's made a difference. Hopefully we can do the same with the Suburban, but keep it clean and unsmelly as well...

4 comments:

The Dennert Family said...

just so you know morgan, i have the big car and the noise still drives me insane! lol so good luck with that!

melissa said...

I like it, and I'm with Raelin: I like the green! I'm glad you now have room for one more. And the doggies! Love YA!

melissa said...

I like it, and I'm with Raelin: I like the green! I'm glad you now have room for one more. And the doggies! Love YA!

Cummins Family said...

ooooo, ahhhhhh! It's sooo purdy! I'm so happy for you guys!