Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Comparison

Yesterday Gina asked me if I was still feeling better with this pregnancy than I had with the others and I was thinking about how I felt at this point when I was pregnant with Alaina (it wasn't that long ago). I looked back through my blog and found:If you recall, I just posted this picture a few posts ago:
The first one was taken at 30 weeks pregnant with Alaina and the second was taken at 28 weeks pregnant with no-name-baby (yeah, we're struggling with a name. As usual). I thought it was interesting to note that I have the same farmer's tan in both pictures and I'm wearing the same shirt (my maternity clothes are in short supply at this stage). I think I look a little bigger in the current pregnancy picture (especially since it's from two weeks earlier in the pregnancy) and I look more in shape with Alaina's pregnancy (swimming during pregnancy is great! So long as you can hoist yourself out of the pool--it stops being great when it requires a crane to get you out). The other thing I noticed is that I'm carrying lower this time. I thought I was carrying super low with Alaina, but maybe not... So what's the superstition about how you carry and gender? Is carrying low supposed to be boy and high is girl, or vice versa?

The name game... I had a girl name and a boy name picked out (Cambrie and Bronson), but in the last few weeks, Brice vetoed Bronson and I vetoed Cambrie. I'm glad we did because now those names are obviously just not the "right" names. But now we're back to square one. And we're running out of time. Why are we so dang picky? But at this point, we can't afford not to be. We love our other kids' names SO much, it would be a shame to go with a name that was merely "OK." Feel free to make suggestions as long as you won't be offended if we don't decide to use them (did I mention we're picky?). We tend to like names that are uncommon but that don't sound weird. And I don't usually like names that end with an "s" sound because I think it slurs into our last name ("Is his name Mac or Max Somers?"). I also don't like names that rhyme with Somers and make it sound sing-song-ish. I love the name Tanner, but Tanner Somers is too rhyme-y for me. I've also realized that I really like boy names that are kind of solid-sounding or strong-sounding and for girls (this surprised me) I like names that are pretty and girly. I would have thought that names you could use for a boy or a girl we be more my style for girl names (names like Riley, Skylar, or Jayden), but after Raelin and Alaina, I guess not. Well, I guess I'd better hit the name books for the bazillionth time. See ya!

3 comments:

Mollie said...

I'm not sure you look "bigger". It looks like you are carrying differently. So I think it's a boy :) You look so cute!

NicholsSouth said...

Yeah, not so much bigger just different. :) And I think they say high=boy and low=girl? I don't know. I can't tell if I'm higher or lower with this one. Good luck with names, we are in the same boat as you (at least from the standpoint of finding one, not so much the pickiness!). You look great!

melissa said...

It's cute that you have pictures in the same shirt in the same place in the house. Make it a tradition. You look like you are carrying lower. We think you should name the baby Pickle. Just kidding!