Saturday, September 15, 2007

Guess who's here!!!


MY PUPPY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Woohoo!

This is Kira! She's a Treeing Walker Coonhound (the "treeing" part is because they tree animals (duh) and because they can CLIMB TREES! I'm not kidding! Like up there in the tree tops facing off with a mountain lion!)


She is so sweet! She is getting along well with Jax and he loves having a play mate. Kira has already learned to sit and lay down and she's getting pretty good about not peeing in the house. (Raelin took this picture, by the way, and Kira is fast asleep in my lap.)

Isn't she cute!? Look at those ears! I'm clicker training her and you kind of do it backwards. First you get the behavior and when they are "throwing" the behavior at you (doing it frequently and deliberately and looking at you for their click and treat), then you give the behavior a name. So I started clicking and treating when she would sit and in three minutes she was "throwing" sits at me. The next day I had her laying down and responding to her name and I started adding the cue to sit.


Kira stays right with me when we go for walks! I LOVE IT! It's the opposite from Jax whom I can never walk without a leash (unless we're hiking in the middle of nowhere). What a good girl! The kids just love her, especially Raelin. She's a little overbearing but she's learning to let the puppy come to her more. They're taking a nap together as I'm writing this. And Jax and Brice are taking a nap together too. Guess we need two more dogs so Ryker and I can have some company too!!

1 comments:

The Queen said...

Morgan...
Just wanted you to know that I LOVE your blog, and will bookmark this for future viewing... keep it up, sweets!
Are you well?
Take care, and have fun with that doggie!
Much love,
Auntie Kyle